Courses - The Woodsmanship™ Course
"...I had a great time... I learnt a lot and look forward to building on what you have taught me in the future..."
Woodsmanship™ is a course that is unique to Green School. We take one or two people for a day, with the possibility of a sleep out and introduce them to all of the skills and processes they need to be able to spend time in the woods as an individual, or with a group.
Many people have the desire to be comfortable and safe in the woods and wilds but have very little experience with the outdoors and have little experience of where to start. The Woodsmanship™ course takes you through all of the aspects you need to know; in order to turn what can be an awful experience into a joyful one. We offer this course born from our considerable experience as outdoorsmen, trackers, bushcrafters, woodsmen, back-country travellers, mountaineers and in the retail development industry for outdoor clothing and equipment.
This is our introduction to everything you need to know. Each course is tailored to the individual and their experience.
- We teach you how to select kit and clothing: from boots to base layer, up to outer shell and wet weather wear.
- How to pack a rucksack. (Yes, there is a right way). Load placement and rucksack fitting.
- Establishing a place to camp and making a shelter to sleep in from appropriate materials available
- Safe use of cutting tools
- Fire building and lighting, types of fire and fire safety. Cooking systems incl: hobo stove, volcano stoves and Trangias
- Basic tracking skills.
- Plants for food & medicine
- Looking after the land: leaving no trace.
The Woodsmanship™ course will take you from absolute novice to the point of being an informed individual. It will give you all of the tools needed for understand your own needs and make informed choices: but much more than this, it will introduce you to the sheer joy of being in the wilds with nature.
‘Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you’
Frank Lloyd Wright architect and visionary
Please Note: Unless otherwise stated this course is entirely self catering, although we will provide all the tea, coffee, hot chocolate and bannock making ingredients! If you are unsure please contact us. We can provide an Army 24 hour ration pack, if you wish for an additional £6 cost: please let me know if you need one when you book.